In 1986 the distinctive voice of Thomas Bodett gave life to the now well-known lines “we’ll leave the light on for you.” Today this no longer seems like a simple feat as recent reports from the U.S. Energy Department say the electricity system “faces imminent danger” from cyberattacks, which are growing more frequent and sophisticated, but grid operators say they are already on top of the problem.” Skeptics, however, say that grid operators are not on top of the problem and need to do more. How do we ensure that our power grids are secure? Experts discuss this and more in the next episode of Cyber Beat Live.
- What emerging technologies and factors make power grid security such a priority today?
- What are some of the challenges utilities face when trying to secure the power grid and how can they overcome them?
- As utilities incorporate sensors and data from outside their private supervisory control how do they manage the trust factor?
- How to best incorporate cyber security concerns into the overall security plan for energy and utility companies?
- What’s the role of government in helping to secure our power grids?
Prefer to listen rather than watch? Stream or download this Cyber Beat Live episode as a podcast.